Welcome to The Diary of Higgins & Haiti!

Hello everyone,

You will be glad to know that I have compiled the diary of my volunteer period in Haiti. It can be found if you click on the link below:
http://alligatorsontheroof.blogspot.com/

I hope you get a chance to flick through it or even have a read at the 1-28 posts (under September archive). I have ordered the posts in the reverse order (a blog usually starts with the most recent first) to allow you to read my account in the order that it happened - kind of like a novel. The only post which is out of sync is no.7. I have struggled with this for days and there appears to be some error which will not enable me to slot this piece of info where I wish it to be.


I am aware that you are all incredibly busy, so I will add a video clip which I have compiled all my fave images from my trip along with tunes that remind me of the special country and its people. This will basically tell you the story, without having to read it, if you so desire. I will also be adding a page for this blog on FB. Before you all groan, this is to allow me to keep my Haiti life and my personal life separate. If you do visit Facebook, please join this page to keep up-to-date with my news and future projects – the more hits I get the better. Or click on the 'like' button on the right hand-side of the page!

Check back once a week for news!

Once again, thank you to all you lovely, kind, generous people who made this adventure possible with your kind words of encouragement and support.

7 – Our home.

 

We shared our compound with some chickens, a rooster and some chicks. They would spend the day looking for worms or beasties to munch on and then retreat to their bed in the tree. The mum would go first and then, one by one, the chicks would hop, hop, hop up the tree to where they had built their nest. I suppose this bizarre behaviour was all in an effort to avoid being eaten when it got dark. During the hours of darkness, the community takes on a whole new life with the animals assuming the leading role. Because of the sparseness of the land, you can hear any tiny sound for miles. On one morning we walked out to find one of the chicks had fallen out of the nest and broken its neck, poor little thing.

P0808_23-05-10 P0917[01]_04-06-10 P0917_04-06-10 P0918_04-06-10 P0934[01]_04-06-10  P0934_04-06-10SDC13709 P1600[02]_23-05-10 SDC13679

 

  P1814[01]_23-05-10

 

SDC13762

 

 

The recurring night-time noises are performed by cows, dogs, cockerels, donkeys, pigs, sheep and  goats. All night, every night! I  think the crazy dogs bark, and when they hear their own echo, assume it’s a rival dog returning their call and bark back – which gets repeated and joined by the other animals for the duration of darkness.

 

 

 

A new noise has entered the fray this evening. To begin with, I assume that it was the normal evening rainstorm, but then it becomes apparent that it is a different pattern of tapping sounds on the tent. On closer inspection I can see that my tent is slightly bulging inwards in a uniformed fashion and the tapping noise is more muffled than rain drops. I turn on my torch to see about  30 giant cockroaches running up and down the outside of my tent (having some sort of rave) and, under their weight, my tent is bulging in.

 

 

 

 

 Pretty much everywhere is a toilet in Haiti and people just pee in the street. However, we wanted to try and encourage our younger pupils just to ‘go’ in the one spot. In the compound there were actually 2 out toilets for the children but they were the most disgusting things you have ever seen, or smelt. In large part, the mess was caused by  the toilet seats being too high for their little bottoms to reach and so they just used the floor, wall and on occasions, the ceiling.

 

 36208_405478454481_751004481_4357343_8247144_n

 

 

 

This was easily corrected. Armed with protective clothing, bleach and scrubbing brushes, we cleaned as much 0f the mess as we could. We then made small steps to enable the children to reach the toilet and stand more of a chance of aiming at and hitting the target.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

35143_1156021396239_1698857696_284668_6171880_n

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Melisa, what a wonderful job you did putting this together, it sums up what we all went through and our feelings. It took awhile for me to get myself together when I came back. The tears came unexpectedly and there was no one you could talk to who would understand except your fellow volunteers. All the Best to you,

    ReplyDelete