Welcome to The Diary of Higgins & Haiti!

Hello everyone,

You will be glad to know that I have compiled the diary of my volunteer period in Haiti. It can be found if you click on the link below:
http://alligatorsontheroof.blogspot.com/

I hope you get a chance to flick through it or even have a read at the 1-28 posts (under September archive). I have ordered the posts in the reverse order (a blog usually starts with the most recent first) to allow you to read my account in the order that it happened - kind of like a novel. The only post which is out of sync is no.7. I have struggled with this for days and there appears to be some error which will not enable me to slot this piece of info where I wish it to be.


I am aware that you are all incredibly busy, so I will add a video clip which I have compiled all my fave images from my trip along with tunes that remind me of the special country and its people. This will basically tell you the story, without having to read it, if you so desire. I will also be adding a page for this blog on FB. Before you all groan, this is to allow me to keep my Haiti life and my personal life separate. If you do visit Facebook, please join this page to keep up-to-date with my news and future projects – the more hits I get the better. Or click on the 'like' button on the right hand-side of the page!

Check back once a week for news!

Once again, thank you to all you lovely, kind, generous people who made this adventure possible with your kind words of encouragement and support.

21 – Swing set

 
We get back, have lunch and break into groups for afternoon activities before class at 2pm. However, there is a giant pile of rubble which I have been determined to make use of since I arrived although I have no offers of assistance since it’s not the most exciting of activities. My reason for doing this is to try and help the mums of the school children; when not at school or in their uniforms, the kids are often knee deep in dirt. This (along with the lack of clothing owned) explains why the kids run around in next to nothing. Another reason is that there are a large number (including teens) who are not entirely toilet trained. When the world is your toilet, I can understand this approach – if you soil yourself and have no pants on, there is one less thing to wash. My logic was to cover the mucky play yard with the unwanted gravel, thus, hopefully, lowering the kid/uniform to mud ratio and helping the mothers to avoid having to perform the laborious task of washing their little uniforms every day.

The play-yard now has lots of fun things for the pupils and seeing how happy playing makes them, is like a present all tied up with a giant bow. When I appear to be getting nowhere, Katie, Molly, Chelsey and I try to make a swing set. After a valiant attempt and a rejection of any help from the boys (who think they can do better) we opt to set off to replace the empty beer bottles.
By now, the sensation in my leg has become more intense and every now and again it falls to sleep. We set off to Jonas the dry-cleaners (not in the sense of a typical dry-cleaners, more of a one-hut-does-all kind of thing) and manage to rope Jake into carrying some of the bottles for us. He has just finished his afternoon run (the refugee camp sent its workers home early) and hasn’t even got his breathe back, but he has no say in the matter! The rest of us share the remaining load of empty Coke bottles. However, Jonas can’t help us and we try a couple of the other usual places. We manage to get some for a ridiculous price but we fancy a drink, so decide to pay for it. Of course, we are talking about one bottle each, hardly a party.
We get back to the camp and have our beer in the yard – Thuan, Jake and Julie join in.
The afternoon classes take place and I am very sad to shortly be saying farewell to my pupils.
They were a little wild today and I had to bribe them with ‘Beyoncé halo’ to keep them focused. They love this song, especially the wooohooo bit at the chorus.
Amusingly, one of the girls suggests that I am fat and won’t stop saying it. I am defended by one of my star pupils who says “she isn’t fat, she is sexy”, although I’m not sure which the worst insult is…
I am incredibly close to all my pupils now and, indeed, to all the individuals I have had the pleasure to meet in Ayiti. I am loving every second of it and really am struggling with the idea of leaving this place to go home. I am emotionally fulfilled daily and feel that I am able to contribute to the improvement of daily life for others in some way, not matter how small. I am also relishing the actual physical activities that I have to undertake each day. I am not making a massive difference but my duties are purposeful. My previous world of lists and emails and schedules seems unfamiliar and distant and I get a real feeling that this is what I should be doing with my life. My husband is such a brilliant man that only when I step out of his shadow am I fully able to see myself and realise that I had been missing this part of me; this is my chance to be me again, this is my moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment