Welcome to The Diary of Higgins & Haiti!

Hello everyone,

You will be glad to know that I have compiled the diary of my volunteer period in Haiti. It can be found if you click on the link below:
http://alligatorsontheroof.blogspot.com/

I hope you get a chance to flick through it or even have a read at the 1-28 posts (under September archive). I have ordered the posts in the reverse order (a blog usually starts with the most recent first) to allow you to read my account in the order that it happened - kind of like a novel. The only post which is out of sync is no.7. I have struggled with this for days and there appears to be some error which will not enable me to slot this piece of info where I wish it to be.


I am aware that you are all incredibly busy, so I will add a video clip which I have compiled all my fave images from my trip along with tunes that remind me of the special country and its people. This will basically tell you the story, without having to read it, if you so desire. I will also be adding a page for this blog on FB. Before you all groan, this is to allow me to keep my Haiti life and my personal life separate. If you do visit Facebook, please join this page to keep up-to-date with my news and future projects – the more hits I get the better. Or click on the 'like' button on the right hand-side of the page!

Check back once a week for news!

Once again, thank you to all you lovely, kind, generous people who made this adventure possible with your kind words of encouragement and support.

16 – Teaching Babby to swim

7.10am I awake – that’s the latest yet and I was in bed for 9pm!
We have breakfast and insist that the boys eat as much as they can as it is included in the room rate and we can’t afford lunch for them too. We went a bit overboard with food and drinks yesterday, as we really wanted them to have fun. We all get to the pool as quickly as we could and assume our positions from yesterday. We have a quick splash around and then we get starting on the boys swimming again. We find a pink inflatable duck which has been left behind and give it to Zacko to help him float. They can all swim incredibly well underwater, but find it very hard to float and stay on top of the water.

Babby is doing a great job and Zacko loves his ‘canard rose,’ which he is reluctant to give anyone else a shot of.
As the boys all practice, a group of children surround me and indicate that they want me to teach them too. I get them to lie on their backs and position one of my arms underneath them to help them to float before we move on to actual swimming techniques. My group swells to about 11 kids and, although we have a language barrier, we manage to communicate just fine. I’m not totally convinced that all of them are unable to swim, and I have a feeling that some of them are just enjoying the interaction and attention.
Georgia has successfully completed her mission to find a man and is now in the pool snogging an army bloke. We laugh and yell at them to stop and they reposition themselves in the baby pool. When Bev learns of this, she promptly turns into mum-mode and gives the two young lovers a telling off. I vacate the room I am sharing with Georgia, take out all my stuff and ( with a wink) suggest that perhaps they should retire there until it is time for us to leave in a couple of hours.
As the day goes on, the rest of my team (with the exception of Thaun and Jake) decide they have had enough and begin plans to ‘get the hell out of dodge’. They have not given up, per se, but their frustrations with the GVN and the lack of organisation has reached breaking point. Tracy and Bev spend the day on the phone sorting out flights and transfers and have managed to get a 1 week refund from GVN, which enables them to upgrade their flights home. Meanwhile, Georgia has decided to work at the hospital tent where her new pool friends are based. The upshot of all this is that I will be on my own next week but I will still have Thuan and Jake for dinner dates. To be completely honest, although I do understand the frustrations of the programme to-date (I share these) I am little confused as to why they need to leave. Surely we can turn the situation around and find new projects to contribute to for the remaining duration????

No comments:

Post a Comment