Welcome to The Diary of Higgins & Haiti!

Hello everyone,

You will be glad to know that I have compiled the diary of my volunteer period in Haiti. It can be found if you click on the link below:
http://alligatorsontheroof.blogspot.com/

I hope you get a chance to flick through it or even have a read at the 1-28 posts (under September archive). I have ordered the posts in the reverse order (a blog usually starts with the most recent first) to allow you to read my account in the order that it happened - kind of like a novel. The only post which is out of sync is no.7. I have struggled with this for days and there appears to be some error which will not enable me to slot this piece of info where I wish it to be.


I am aware that you are all incredibly busy, so I will add a video clip which I have compiled all my fave images from my trip along with tunes that remind me of the special country and its people. This will basically tell you the story, without having to read it, if you so desire. I will also be adding a page for this blog on FB. Before you all groan, this is to allow me to keep my Haiti life and my personal life separate. If you do visit Facebook, please join this page to keep up-to-date with my news and future projects – the more hits I get the better. Or click on the 'like' button on the right hand-side of the page!

Check back once a week for news!

Once again, thank you to all you lovely, kind, generous people who made this adventure possible with your kind words of encouragement and support.

1 – How it all started

Once in a while something or someone touches your life. This may not always be someone you know, or something you have a connection with. It may consume you in a way you didn’t think possible, but once it takes hold, you know that you have to everything you can to try and help.


On Tuesday, January 12th 2010, an earthquake registering at 7.0 on the Richter scale hit the island of Haiti in the Caribbean. The earthquake destroyed much of the already fragile and overburdened infrastructure in the most densely populated part of the country.


When I became aware of this, it affected me in a way I cannot describe or that made any sense. The impact of seeing the news with the daily reports and scenes of devastation  really hit home the desperation of the situation. Since that day, I have been determined to help in any way I could.

Over the next few posts you will view my photos and footage, which will hopefully give you a picture of my time in Haiti.

 

 It all began with my fundraiser

 

 

Thank you so much to my friends and family who gave such amazing support and donations.

It’s the day before I set off and I take a walk along the beach to slow down and mentally prepare for the journey ahead. I am surrounded by sun worshipers, surf riders, the rich and the poor labourers and try to imagine how different things are going to be. Looking out to the horizon and the new adventure ahead, I become almost angry at the way of life that is taken for granted here and by the relative ease that we go through life. grazia

I return home to pack my bag with its countless sections of clothes and medical supplies compartmentalised, almost like my thoughts in preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment