Welcome to The Diary of Higgins & Haiti!

Hello everyone,

You will be glad to know that I have compiled the diary of my volunteer period in Haiti. It can be found if you click on the link below:
http://alligatorsontheroof.blogspot.com/

I hope you get a chance to flick through it or even have a read at the 1-28 posts (under September archive). I have ordered the posts in the reverse order (a blog usually starts with the most recent first) to allow you to read my account in the order that it happened - kind of like a novel. The only post which is out of sync is no.7. I have struggled with this for days and there appears to be some error which will not enable me to slot this piece of info where I wish it to be.


I am aware that you are all incredibly busy, so I will add a video clip which I have compiled all my fave images from my trip along with tunes that remind me of the special country and its people. This will basically tell you the story, without having to read it, if you so desire. I will also be adding a page for this blog on FB. Before you all groan, this is to allow me to keep my Haiti life and my personal life separate. If you do visit Facebook, please join this page to keep up-to-date with my news and future projects – the more hits I get the better. Or click on the 'like' button on the right hand-side of the page!

Check back once a week for news!

Once again, thank you to all you lovely, kind, generous people who made this adventure possible with your kind words of encouragement and support.

14 – Our boys, the translators

Our translators have been phenomenal. Not only do they translate, they are our protectors, our companions and most definitely our friends. As we are still struggling with the idea of having ‘weekends off,’ we decide to do something nice for the boys this weekend, as a way of saying thank you and to reward them for all their efforts.









Tracy and I set off to find an internet café – a great team: her grasp of French and my expert PC skills.  We learn from the boys that they have never been to the sea or a pool and are unable to swim. This is our treat we decide, we will take them away to teach them to swim, or at least have fun splashing about in the water.
Originally we had been told that we would be residing in Jacmel, a town a few hours from PAP and located on the coast. So, our initial plan is to visit the team in Jacmel and use their camp for the night. When we are told that this will not be possible, Tracy and I scan the internet (and Lonely Planet) to find a solution. Jacmel, where we had previously told we would be staying, couldn’t be any further away in terms of distance or setting, than our home, 15 mins from PAP. It is sheltered by a beautiful 3km bay and is one of the most friendly and tranquil towns in Haiti. It’s a couple of hours drive from PAP and I have been told, is a fantastic place for recharging the batteries. On reflection, I am much happier we are not there and, instead, are much more hands in PAP on with the people who most need help. Whilst I admit, the whole of Haiti is in desperate need of support, but I have the feeling that Jacmel can afford to wait a little. We are delighted (and disgusted) to find that there are a couple of beach resorts in the direction of The Dominican Republic. There are 3 to choose from and we quickly find contact details and give them a call. Tracy manages to get through to the second place and we book 4 double rooms for Saturday night. We decide to stay overnight and give the boys a real treat. Tracy and I run back to the camp to tell Georgia and Bev that we have everything arranged and find the boys to sort out transport. They tell us it will be $200 for transport to and from resort. I explain that this is far too much as we will already be spending $100 each on the rooms and then will still pay for food and drinks. Also, I had learned that a previous group had gone to Jacmel which was further and only paid $150. There is a bit of to-ing and fro-ing and they say they will have to check with the driver. They report back and tell us $120 will be fine, which we agree and we say goodnight ready for our 7am start for the weekend adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment